Saturday, December 30, 2006

Say Yes! to Michigan

Does anyone else remember that stupid advertising slogan Michigan used to have? "Say yes! to Michigan. Say yes, yes, yes!" Somebody had fun with that one.

Speaking of yes, yes, yes, Eric's cousin's daughter got married last night, which is why I happen to be in Michigan. It was a very nice ceremony, and remarkably short. They looked happy and excited. The reception was held at the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, which was pretty cool. http://www.meijergardens.org/

Eric was happy to see cousins that he grew up with until he moved to Wisconsin at age 12. It was fun for me to put faces and personalities with names. I'd met the bride and her family, but that was it.

Today there is a brunch. If my family ever gets out of bed, we'll go.

It's weird being in the Eastern time zone. People don't start their day until later. It makes me a little batty. I lie in bed at home, waiting for the world to begin, and here I have to do the same thing since they don't do anything until later. We're only barely into the Eastern time zone, so even though it's 8 a.m., it's hardly showing any light outside. I suppose that's why they don't get up.

There is a Krispy Kreme a few blocks from here. Kelsey is itching to go. We don't have a Krispy Kreme where we live. My sister used to have one in her town, but theirs closed, and I haven't been back to see her since!

I wanted to go to the Gerald R. Ford Museum here in Grand Rapids, but they've closed it until the end of next week. Well, the lobby is open, but none of the exhibits are open. Whoopdeedoo – a lobby. The library is in Ann Arbor and is also closed except for the lobby, where you can sign a guest book. I think I'll pass.

We spent yesterday driving around Grand Rapids and East Grand Rapids, looking at stuff from Eric's youth. Eric grew up in East Grand Rapids, and there is quite a difference between plain Grand Rapids and East Grand Rapids. His back yard abutted Dick Ford's. Pretty hoity toity area. The only way we'd ever afford to live in such a place is if we won the lottery.

It really shows how differently Eric and I grew up. It's a wonder we can stand each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhhhh Dick Ford ...Uhhhh Art the Fart...yup that's different.

Amy said...

Eric says Dick was right up there with Art the Fart. Good call.