Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Candy(wo)man

After I dropped a bill at the post office, I stopped by Walgreen's to see if they had any Cow Pies. Eric kindly brought me one over the weekend. I had stayed home to do homework while the family went out into the world and had fun. Cow Pies are like giant Turtles, except so much better than Turtles. The chocolate is thicker and tastier, the caramel is the perfect viscosity, and the nuts are big and fresh. And because the factory is only about 45 miles from our house, our Cow Pies are especially fresh. Alas, Walgreen's had no Cow Pies.

But they did have a new candy bar from Hershey's called Reese's Whipps. It is touted as having 40% less fat than the leading chocolate candy. The package made it look like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in stick shape. So I got one to try.



I got it home and looked at the nutrition information. Sure, it has less fat than Reese's cups. But it actually has more saturated fat than a package of two cups. It also only has two fewer calories than two cups. Nutritionally, it's hardly a winner.

Sadly, the same is true of its taste and texture. It's much like a Three Musketeers, just denser and a little grainier and with a mild peanut-buttery taste.

It was a disappointment. Thumbs down. I'd really rather have Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or the seasonal shaped peanut butter cups/bars they make. The seasonal bars have thinner chocolate and they're fresher. Delicious.

9 comments:

Swearing Mother said...

I SO want one of those cow pies.

Please excuse the drool.

Amy said...

I'd be happy to send you one. I've sent them to Australia, Canada, England, Germany, and Sweden, as well as all over the U.S. Want one--or more?

laurie said...

i like candy seasonally.

this time of year, i crave candy corn and those marshmallow pumpkins. in the spring, i want jelly beans. when we went up north, i got a sharp craving for those jellied orange slices. yum.

jan said...

All those years that I lived in Wisconsin, I've never heard of a cow pie. They look delicious, of course anything with choclate is for me.

Amy said...

Laurie, I used to get cravings for candy corn, angel food candy, candy canes, and malted milk eggs. I don't anymore, though. I always buy all that stuff, and then it's so disappointing when I'm not in candy nirvana after I eat it.

Jellied orange slices? I can say in perfect honesty that I've never, ever had a craving for those.

Jan, how many do you want?

the rotten correspondent said...

Peanut Butter + Chocolate = Nirvana.

The best combination in the world .

Surfer Dude wanted to take a treat to school today for his student teacher's last day. He picked puppy chow. PB+C. Yum...

And I didn't have a single bite.

Swearing Mother said...

Hi Amy, as much as I would like to get you to send me a truckload of Cow Pies, I note that the Rotten Correspondent is a regular reader of your blog and as I am currently trying to lose weight, with the help of Babes R Us on RC's site, I had better say no for the moment.

But thanks anyway (sigh).

Best wishes.

Amy said...

RC, you have such willpower. I just killed a bag of Snickers almond snack-size. I didn't join your Babes-in-weighting group for obvious reasons.

SM, you are very strong. Keep it up. I'm rooting for you. So to speak.

laurie said...

RC, i must respectfully point out, is insane.

chocolate + mint=nirvana.