Friday, May 16, 2008

Screaming O

Yes, that's me you just heard. Did the earth move for you, too?

Let me tell you about today:

It is my birthday. I'm the age Eric was when we got married. I'm almost as heavy as he was the day we got married.

I had to work. It was my last day. My big story might run Sunday, but they've had something more timely come up and mine might get held for space. They asked me to work tomorrow and next week, too. I am busy. But I'll be back in the fall. Maybe. Probably.

I had to write a 10-page paper comparing Joan Didion, James Agee, and AJ Liebling (five pages) and John Hersey and William Langewiesche (five pages). This type of writing is not my favorite. In fact, it is my least favorite and it is one thing that kept me out of an English degree when I was younger. I just couldn't stand it. Yuck. But...

I JUST FINISHED THE STUPID FUCKING PAPER! Yes! Oh, yes! Oh, god! Yes! Yes!! YES!!!

What a way to spend your birthday! Writing a stupid fucking paper! I didn't even get to have a birthday cake. I didn't get any presents. Why not? BECAUSE I HAD TO WRITE A STUPID FUCKING PAPER!

My party is tomorrow and you're all invited. Bring Doritos.

9 comments:

laurie said...

i'm not sure i see the similarities between joan didion, james agee and a.j. liebling (except that they wrote about the common person?). i hated those papers, too.

happy birthday! but no doritos. ruffles. Lays Ruffles.

with dip.

SabrinaT said...

Happy birthday~~!

MJ Krech said...

Happy Birthday, Sister O'Mine! You're the best a girl could have. Slap me some skin, Sistah!

jan said...

Happy Birthday. Your birthday happens to be my anniversary. I think I've been married longer than you've been alive.

the rotten correspondent said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope your party was a lot more fun than your paper. My birthday always fell during finals,too, so I know how you feel.

Save me some Doritos.

Amy said...

See? After finals, my brain just congeals for a while. The question about Didion, Agee and Liebling was about point of view and objectivity and how those relate to the works of those three. James Agee was utter torture to read, except his later stuff, which was much shorter and actually interesting.

Sabrinat, thanks! And welcome!

M to the J to the S-I-S, back atcha on the best.

Jan, ha! When did you get married?

RC, the party was calm (the way I like it) and full of delicious food (the way I like it). But, sorry, the Doritos are long gone.

christian said...

Congrats on the finishing of the paper! (And your birthday too) I just finished my thesis (50 pages) and also a 1 credit 8 page paper (so i could graduate) and it was the 8 pager that drove me nuts! Hope you don't have to go through that again!

aims said...

Happy Birthday girl! And good for you for doing what you are doing!

Amy said...

Christian, congratulations on finishing your thesis. Do you feel like you've given birth?

(I got an A on my paper by some inexplicable act of charity.)

Aims, thanks.