Monday, September 17, 2007

Nice Meme Cookie

First, I am delighted to say thanks to the Rotten Correspondent for bestowing upon me the Nice Matters Award. Isn’t it pretty?

I’m going to pass it on to Marcia and Sarah, a fabulous mother-daughter pair, and Kath, whom I can’t wait to see in only a couple of months. Marcia has been a wonderful support and ceaseless cheering section for many years. Thanks so much. Sarah followed in her footsteps. I’ve watched her grow from a girl to a woman. It wasn’t an easy path, but she always had smiles, hugs, and love for everyone around her. I love you both. Kath, you always have a kind word or a swift kick whenever anyone needs it. You’re thoughtful and practical and fun. Can’t wait to see you.


Next:

Laurie has meemed me.

List a character trait for each letter of your name. Any name you wish, as long as it’s yours. So, I might be Amy or Jean or Veggieburger or [censored]. What do you think? Amy is short, but with Veggieburger, I’d get to talk about myself a lot more, which is what memes and blogs are all about. I’m lazy – and I have no L for lazy in any of my names, so …

A: accidental. Yes, folks, fifteen years separate my closest sibling and me.
M: minty. I love mints in fun tins. My current box is Impeachmints, featuring our president on the cover. If only.
Y: yawning. I’m tired.

I’m meeming Kath, Sarah, Marcia, and SOTJ. If you've already been meemed, well, just ignore me.


A little story for you:

I’m a nosher. Today I’ve eaten probably 15 Tootsie Rolls as I’ve been reading textbooks and writing stories. Yesterday I had a similar number in addition to some Snickers snack-size and a few butter cookies.

Although I worry about my kids picking up my bad habits, I didn’t know I had to worry about my computer.

When I’ve gotten up from bed, where – as I’ve said before – I do my best work, I’ve noticed little wet spots. Odd. I mean, wet spots in bed are, well, you know. But I don’t get that excited from learning about formatting annual reports. (Does anyone?) So it really couldn’t be me.

Turns out, it’s my computer. And they’re not wet spots, they’re grease spots. Apparently I left a significant chunk of butter cookie on top of my backpack and set my computer on top of it. The cookie stuck. As I’ve shifted my computer from one spot to the next, I’ve left crumbly, greasy, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth butter cookie behind.

My computer has no spam, but it does have cookies, and it’s time to clear them.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all congratulations on your lovely award - very well deserved. I hope you don't mind but I have linked you to my "blogs I follow" list as I do enjoy coming over the pond to read what you have to tell us.

Secondly, I got meme'd too. As Crystal is quite a long name and I was beginning to struggle on some of the letters (not difficult for me) I thought I might use my daughter's name instead - she is also called Amy! Nice and easy!

Crystal xx

Amy said...

Well, thanks so much, Crystal. I thought of you when it came to giving away the Nice Matters Award, but, as I suspected, you already have it.

Isn't it fun how we can hop continents from our computers? Thanks for adding me to your list. I'll add you to mine, too, if you don't mind.

Take such care.

laurie said...

amy--

accidental is great.

re melty things on computers: when pam and i worked at the night copy desk in duluth, we went out to dinner together every monday night. got big salads. stopped at fanny farmer chocolates on the way back and got what they then called truffles (and now call Mayans--they're stacks of alternating dark and milk chocolate).

one time, to be nice, we got some mayans for the city editor. left them on his keyboard as a surprise.

and yes, they melted.

he was surprised, all right.

Amy said...

Ha! That's funny. Tragic waste of chocolate, though. Were those the ones shaped like pyramids? I loved those. What did your editor say about it?

Going to Fanny Farmer with my brother Clint is one of my favorite childhood memories. He's 21 years older than I am, by the way. He would haul my little ass downtown, traipse me through the capitol and up and down State Street and through book stores and museums and libraries and we'd eat godawful gyros at The Parthenon and I'd end up so tired I could hardly walk. But he always took me to Fanny Farmer on the Square where I could choose one piece of candy. It made my day every time.

the rotten correspondent said...

I'm a nosher, too. I hate to think how much food I go through sitting on my butt on the computer. Well, my butt isn't on the computer...you know what I mean. I have popcorn kernels on my keyboard as I speak.

Popcorn is good. Doesn't melt.

Sarah said...

Hey, thanks! I think you are pretty nice too. Love ya, babe!

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I'm a nosher too. Due to the bag of Oreos I ate today

Amy said...

Popcorn. Ugh. We ruined a keyboard with a nasty combination of popcorn and hot chocolate. I'd rather not get into the details.

I will say, though, that if you ever have the need to purge, try popcorn and Welch's 100% grape juice. It worked on my kids every time. Not deliberately, of course. I just wish my husband had figured it out after the first or second time.

Sarah, back atcha. Great wedding pics, by the way. Too bad Kayleigh can't look at a camera lens. That kid.

SOTJ, you are so lovely and trim, I'm having a hard time picturing you eating a bag of Oreos in a day. It must have been a small bag.